Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ups, Downs, and Port Sky


In the summer of 2008 I took a student visit to Penn State Altoona with my parents. Everything was great and I had made the decision in my head that if I didn't get into the State College campus that Altoona would be my home. Towards the end of the tour we made a stop at the campuses only cafeteria, Port Sky Cafe. We were encouraged by our Lion Ambassador to have a taste of what the students eat everyday, so we did. Now, regularly there are seven choices of meals a night at Port Sky, but since it was the summer and the students weren't there we were limited to only three (pre-wrapped sandwiches, chinese food, and the salad bar). Of course everyone was in queue for the chinese food and salad bar, so I thought I would be smart and go straight for the pre-wrapped sandwiches, silly Jake. I should have known when I took my first bite of that sandwich that Port Sky Cafe was trouble.
Today
A year passed and I moved in to Cedar Hall at Penn State Altoona in August of 2009. Port Sky is the only cafeteria that the school has to offer, so I wasn't very excited for it to be my main source of nutrients, I'm a growing boy after all. Throughout my first semester at Altoona I discovered one thing, coming back from State College (where the food is spectacular and the beer flows like wine) on a Sunday afternoon is like forgetting to get your permission slip signed, then showing up to school so excited on the day of the field trip only to find out that you can't go. I suppose that Port Sky isn't all that bad, but it lacks consistency.
What else could there be?
Also, the personnel keeping the place in order don't necessarily help Port Skys cause. A few nights ago, Anthony and I went to dinner and there was roast beef, we headed for that line with high hopes. The girl in front of me got the last of the roast that was on the cutting board, so a new one was brought out and I thought that I would get the first piece off of the beautiful hunk of meat, silly Jake. The prick in charge picked up the scraps from the old piece left over on the cutting board and put it on my plate. I'm not lying when I say that more than half of the meat on that plate was straight fat and gristle, you can ask Anthony. Never have I ever been so enraged over a meal. Port Sky has its ups and downs, but the valleys are lower than the peaks are high.

Honorable Mention

On Jan. 23, 2010, Wayne Rooney scored four goals for Manchester United in a 4-0 win over Hull City. This is pretty impressive considering that I played three years of JV soccer in high school and never scored once.


Stay hungry, America


-Jake Harr

3 comments:

  1. highs: chicken kev, meatloaf, turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, panini.
    lows: anything else other than whats listed above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you should've scored once if it weren't for that damn referee at Derry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i went to altoona, too many years ago, all they had were burgers and chicken cosmos (which are the shit by the way). so at least you guys have slightly more in the way of variety

    ReplyDelete