Monday, April 5, 2010

Opening Day 2010


Some people like to look at the Pittsburgh Pirates as the annoying little sister to the championship caliber Steelers and Penguins so for those people I have only two words, SUCK IT. Sure, they have had 17 straight losing seasons but that doesn't mean we should not support them, even though they have made some questionable moves in the past. But those moves were almost forced due to low funds and not being able keep up with financial competition from other teams bidding on players (Pirate-Haters: Do you feel good about picking on the poor?). Now that is all changing, the Buccos are under fairly new ownership and the prospects that were traded for are rising in the system as well as high profile draft pick Pedro Alvarez.

Opening Day is upon us and the Pirates are victorious in their first game, beating the LA Dodgers 11-5. It was an impressive day statistically for Garrett F. Jones, who homered twice in the first game of the year to aid the Pirates in victory. Of course with the 2010 season starting this also means that Pirate's Post Game on 104.7 hosted by Rocco DeMaro is starting as well. The show is broadcasted directly after the games and features callers from all around asking Rocco whatever is on their mind about the Pirates. Sometimes a Panera gift card is awarded to whoever asks the best question, and yes, I have won that card. The funny thing is I won it in May of 2009 and I haven't received it yet. Fellow author and twin brother of mine, Zach Harr, was with me when it happened. We were on our way to Greensburg after a game and we were listening to the show when I thought of a question concerning a pitching prospect, Brad Lincoln. So I called and the conversation went a little like this...

Rocco: "Ok now we're going to go to Jake in Delmont, Jake what's your question?"

Me: "Hey Rocco, long time listener first time caller love the show. Anyways I wanted to ask you about blah blah Brad Lincoln blah blah."

Rocco: "Great question blah blah you have won today's 25 dollar Panera gift card."

And that's where I messed up. In my high of excitement I accidentally hung up before I could give my information to the station so they could send me the card. It's like winning the Super Bowl/World Series/NBA Finals/Stanley Cup and not getting a ring, probably worse. I've sent him emails, called the station, and I am planning to write him a letter but he just wont give in, I suppose I'll just have to call in again and ask another Panera-worthy question.

Dishonorable Mention
Anthony Mongelluzzo did not like The Blind Side, this almost earned a dishonorable discharge.


Stay hungry, America
Jake Harr, GA Chief of Harry Potter Related Knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment